Warangal Fort – The fort dates back to the 13th century, lies at a distance of 2 Km from Warangal Railway station. The fort was built by Kakatiya king, Ganapati Deva and his daughter Rudramma.Warangal fort has been ravaged over time and only remnants can be seen. The fort had three layers of protection, the remnants can still be seen today.First layer is a 40 feet high wall, made of mud, which surrounds the whole fort. Second layer is a granite rock wall, than the main fort stands. The remains of the four famous stone gateways are still present, they stand about 50 feet high. The gateways are called as Kirti Toranas(great gateways) of Kakatiyas.
Attraction at Warangal Fort
The Warangal Fort with its impressive and beautifully carved thoranan arches, and pillars inside spread over a radius of 19 kms between Hanamkonda and Warangal, the impregnable fort was popularly known as the seat of power. The fort consists of seven towers , with a radius of 8 kms. The main fort has 45 towers, and a temple of mother earth in the middle of the fort (Swayam Bhudevi Alayam). A legendary master piece known as Khush Mahal built by Shittabh Khan (Reign 1504-1512 is situated close to the glorious Warangal Fort. Even today, the beautifully carved gateway located within the fort-the famous ‘Ekashila’- symbolises the Kakatiya empire and Warangal like the Charminar does for Hyderabad.